Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Manufacturer's Coupon

(Like "Change" this is something I wrote many years ago, but I would like to share it here; its application is, after all, of eternal value.)

It was an ordinary ritual, sorting the coupons I'd collected and preparing the grocery list, but as my eyes scanned the fine print for an expiration date, my mind focused on one word, "Redeem". "Redeem by June 30, 1998". I had seen the word or variation thereof on hundreds of cxoupons over the years, but this time a link was made that would change forever the way I would look at coupons and the way I would understand the significance of the gospel doctrines surrounding and encompassing the role of Christ, our Redeemer; the Redeemer of the World.
As I began to ponder the meaning of the word in both contexts, I recognized a pattern emerging and began to construct the following analogy:
The manufacturer offers the coupon to the consumer for the purpose of allowing the purchase of a product at a price lower than its established value.
The plan of salvation is offered by God, the creator, to each of us that we might purchase eternal life, which is valued at a price otherwise beyond our ability to pay.
The manufacturer enters into a contract between the retailer and himself and by means of the coupon invites the consumer to become a party to that contract.
` Likewise, our Father in Heaver entered into a contract or covenant with Jesus Christ and invites us to become a party to that contract through the covenant and ordinance of baptism. In the gospel context all of God's children are given a "coupon", but are allowed individual agency to choose what they will do with it.
If cash is desired in lieu of the product offered, the manufacturer's coupon has a cash value of 1/100th of a cent. If I choose to throw the coupon away or allow its expiration date to pass, the coupon is worthless.
In the gospel application, I can choose to gather an hundred worldly pleasures and present them for the reward of a penny's worth of life everlasting. I can throw the gift of salvation away or choose to try in vain to pay the full price myself. I can let the "expiration date" (the days of my earthly probation) pass without acting to make the purchase and find that I have earned or saved only enough to purchase life in a lesser kingdom.
I must take the manufacturer's coupon to an authorized agent. The plumber cannot redeem my coupon for soap and a restaurant cannot redeem my coupon for milk. Likewise, we must seek for the authorized agent of redemption, our Lord Jesus Christ, and receive validation of our claim on Eternal Life through authorized priesthood ordinances and by adherence to the "rules" or commandments of God.
Rules or conditions of redemption are printed on my coupons in words I can barely see, but our Father in Heaven makes His conditions clear to all. No one's purchase in the kingdom of God is denied until the opportunity to understand the rules and partake of the ordinances is given and a clear description of the "product" is presented.
On my coupons a fixed redemption value is stated; if I do not have sufficient additional cash to pay the price of the product I cannot make the purchase.
God has contracted with Christ, that He will honor his sacrifice on our behalf as payment in full; we in turn contract with our Savior that we will "always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given" us. Christ's witness to the Father that we have honored and kept our covenant with him and done all that he has required of us, allows him to redeem us from death (both spiritual and temporal) and purchase for us Eternal Life in our Father's kingdom.
My coupon for soap had long ago expired and I considered tossing it into the wastebasket with others of no value, but I valued this coupon for the lesson it had taught and I remembered this scripture from the Pearl of Great Price:
"And behold all things have their likeness, and all things are created and made to bear record of me [Christ], both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual; things which are in the heavens above and things which are on the earth, and things which are in the earth, and things which are under the earth, both above and beneath; all things bear record of me." [even a manufacturer's coupon]

No comments: